Simple Corn + Egg Drop Soup

Simple Corn + Egg Drop Soup // The Pancake PrincessMaybe it’s because I’ve spent the past two days with my nose glued to Murakami’s 1Q84, but when I finally emerged for sustenance after plowing through nearly a third of the 1,200 page novel in one day, I was really in the mood for soup.

School’s letting us out for a break this week to recharge our batteries after a battering of midterms, so even though I should technically be getting ahead in Finance and Accounting and networking and researching for jobs and all that, I still have some much-needed free time. There was time to make a giant pot of chili, if I wanted, but what I really wanted last night was to get back to my book–and some really tasty soup.

Simple Corn + Egg Drop Soup // The Pancake Princess

Simple Corn + Egg Drop Soup // The Pancake PrincessAmong many other things, 1Q84 is interspersed with scenes of simple meals being prepared: boiled vegetables, simple fillets of white fish, crackers and cheese, and miso soup with seaweed and tofu. I’ll attribute my craving for soup to the novel as well as the addition of miso to this–the first time I’ve ever thought to add it to my beloved corn + egg drop soup.

This is one of my favorite soups of all time: wispy ribbons of egg floating in hot, sweet and savory broth, buoyed by juicy nubs of corn. In my book, you can never go wrong with corn, but sometimes my soup broths can end up insipid and bland since I tend to never have vegetable broth on hand. With my mind still clicking through the plot of the novel, there was no recipe when I made this–just the frying of onion in aromatic sesame oil, a grating of ginger, some miso dissolved into a cup of water, and a can of corn. Lastly, an egg swirled into the hot, sweet and savory liquid. The first sip was shocking enough that I had to pull my eyes away from the book to marvel at the balanced sweetness and savoriness of the broth–you guys, it’s perfect student food (cheap), perfect cold night food (warm), perfect book-reading food (fast) and basically perfect anytime food since it’s crazy delicious!

Simple Corn + Egg Drop Soup // The Pancake Princess

(To be real: this was also partially inspired by a lost can of corn I found at the back of my pantry after a giant re-organizing. Don’t forget to enter the giveaway to win the $500 value prize in this post!).

Simple corn + egg drop soup

Ingredients

• toasted sesame oil
  • about 1/2 medium onion, diced
  • fresh ginger, grated
  • 1 tablespoon white miso paste
  • 1 15 oz can of corn, including juice (not unsalted)
  • 1 large egg
  • splash of soy sauce (optional)

Instructions

Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat. One hot, swirl in some sesame oil and add the onion. Stir to coat. Grate some ginger directly into the pot (I use a zester)--about 1/2 teaspoon worth, but you can do more or less to taste.

Once the onion has softened and is starting to brown, add a cup of water. Add the miso and stir it around with a wooden spoon--it's okay if it doesn't dissolve all the way. Cover and bring to a low boil. Add the entire can of corn, including the juice. Stir and cover again to bring to a low boil.

Lastly, turn down the heat and crack and egg into the soup. Immediately stir the soup to disperse the egg evenly throughout the soup. Finish with a dash of soy sauce if desired.

19 thoughts on “Simple Corn + Egg Drop Soup

1. The Vegan 8

This looks so comforting Erika!! I LOVE how simple it is too…and I also love, love corn. I just had a bunch of it in my Mexican chili for dinner tonight. I don’t eat corn very often, but I do love the taste and for some weird reason, craving it more lately. It sure does add amazing flavor and texture to things…like this amazing soup! Score fo the simplicity too!

2. Pang @circahappy

i have never thought of adding ginger and miso paste into the corn soup, which is such a great idea!!!!! i love corn to begin with, and i think i will make this great-soup-for-all-occasion asap.

by the way, you have the right to have your ‘me’ no matter what you ‘should’ do :)

3. susan @ the wimpy vegetarian

I have some wonderful book-reading weather to enjoy today – a rare cool and rainy day in the Bay Area. It’s rare we get a day like this in October, our summer. Love this soup and adore the photos. I have some miso in the fridge and never ever thought about adding it to soup. Adding to a corn soup is PERFECT.

YES!! I miss those October summers. So bizarre, but a nice spurt of sun before winter, right? Glad you like the idea of adding miso to the soup (I love it in a lot of broth-y soups!) and hope you’re enjoying your new place!!

4. Katie (The Muffin Myth)

Oh midterms, how I do not miss thee. Glad you’re staying strong through it and prioritizing yourself during your break. I love the idea of this soup! My mother in law makes the best soups, one of which is a borcht that is finished with a can of green peas, brine and all. And I tell ya, it’s that brine that really makes the soup. I imagine the can of corn serving a similar purpose here. And I’ve got white miso in the fridge, so let me tell you, this soup is going to be in mah belly nice and quick.

5. Nancy @ gottagetbaked

Corn and egg drop soup is one of my favourites, Erika! I’ve loved it since I was a child. My best friend’s parents made the best version but now, I need to try this to see how it stacks up. I love the addition of miso to give it that extra sumpin’ sumpin’. I’m glad that you’re getting a break from studying. I always turned to reading fiction when I got super stressed in university. It’s the perfect mental palate cleanser!

6. Linda | Brunch with Joy

I’ll be doing the same thing too if i were you – taking a break, relaxing and finally screaming because i haven’t finished anything the day before school starts again *guilty*, lol. I love corn soup, especially when it’s about to rain like right now…. I normally add chicken bones to add more flavor. Happy slurping!

7. Ala

Totalllllly agreeing with you on this one: looks and sounds like the PERFECT book-reading food. Now if only I could stash you in my kitchen–I bet productivity levels would be way up!

8. Sarah @ SnixyKitchen

Funny how that works, right? Technically, you finally have time to do the work you haven’t had time to do during school…but relaxing with a good book and a bowl of soup is so much more appealing. I love the simplicity of this cozy soup.

9. laurasmess

I’m glad that you’re finally getting a bit of a break. Well deserved, as it sounds like the past few weeks have been pretty frantic… gah! As I write, I’m sitting wrapped in a thick doona in my Uncle’s English apartment. The cold weather has definitely made this nourishing, warm soup look beautifully enticing! I’ve never heard of egg drop soup but it’s a great idea for additional protein in the mix! Yay for cans of forgotten corn languishing in the back of the cupboard, haha (I’m going to have plenty to discover when I get home after almost four months… I’ll be back home by the end of next week!) xx

10. Nora (A Clean Bake)

Make no mistake: Soup and non-required reading is probably the only thing that will get you through this in one piece (and wine, obviously). I wish I had had this recipe a few years ago! Eh, I’ll settle for making the hell out of it this winter :)

11. Sophie

Oh I’ve forgotten over our warm summer how much I love egg drop soup! I never would have thought to substitute miso for chicken broth. I’m on it!! This is the perfect dinner for me since I don’t cook for anyone during the week days (my husband works nights). I always put corn in egg drop soup, but almost always water chesnuts, too :) yay! Enjoy your break!

12. Millie l Add A Little

I love simple egg drop soup and the addition of sweetcorn sounds amazing Erika! Also, so lucky you have a little break – I still have one week of school gahh!!
    I didn’t realise 1Q84 was that amazing – I should definitely check it out!