This was one of my favorite recipes that I discovered from the Whole Living action plan. It’s a perfect simple but filling dinner staple with just 5 ingredients and the option to be made in an oven or the microwave.
How to caramelize onions, fast!
While making this dish, I discovered that using just a pinch of baking soda while caramelizing the onion browns, breaks down and cooks the onion extremely fast. like whoa. It’s crazy fast. You could even cook the onion without oil and with just baking powder, a trick I learned from Susan at Fat Free Vegan. It’s always best to start out lightly with the baking soda as you can’t go backwards.
Sweet Potato with Greens
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion sliced thin
- 1 bunch collard greens washed, stemmed and chopped
- 1 bunch spinach washed, stemmed and chopped (about 3 cups)
- sliced avocado optional
Leisurely oven version:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prick sweet potatoes with a fork and bake until tender, about 45 minutes.
- Slice onion and greens while heating a large pan over medium heat. Add olive oil. Once hot, add onion and cook until slightly caramelized, about 10-15 minutes. Add collard greens and spinach and cook, stirring, until wilted, about 5 minutes. Add salt to taste.
- Serve potatoes split and topped with a mountain of greens and sliced avocado, if using. More salt, pepper, cayenne or a squeeze of lemon optional.
Quick and dirty microwave version:
- Stab a sweet potato a few times with a fork and microwave for 2 minutes on high. Check for doneness. If still firm, microwave for another minute until tender.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat. Once hot, add onions and a tiny pinch of baking soda (less than 1/8 teaspoon—this will speed up the cooking process like whoa). Once onions are brown and tender, add greens and cook until wilted, about 5 minutes. Add salt to taste.
- Serve split potatoes with a mountain of greens and sliced avocado if you want. More salt, pepper, cayenne or a squeeze of lemon optional.