Um…yeah. I just wanted to do that, sorry.
So, this was one of my favorite detox recipes—I think I made it about six times over the course of my cleanse since its introduction during the second week. The cleanse listed this as a breakfast and lunch option, but it’s now become a go-to dinner staple in my routine because I prefer this hearty greens and potato load fresh out of the oven. It’s SO simple (only five or so ingredients) and it can be made in a leisurely fashion (oven) or superfast (microwave).
It’s surprisingly tasty and I say that as someone who glanced at the menu and thought, “onions and Swiss chard? yeah I’ll skip that one.” But when I serendipitously happened to have everything on hand to make them, dinner happened and now I’m a little obsessed.
I also discovered a cool trick to cook these even faster: using baking soda while caramelizing the onion (JUST a pinch!), browns, breaks down and cooks the onion like whoa. It’s crazy fast. You could even cook the onion without oil and with just baking powder, a trick I learned from Susan at Fat Free Vegan. Warning: go very light on the baking soda. You can always add more. You can’t un-baking soda your onions. I learned the hard way.
So if you like sweet potatoes, caramelized onions and spinach…
…meet your new favorite dinner.
Sweet Potato with Greens
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion sliced thin
- 1 bunch collard greens washed, stemmed and chopped
- 1 bunch spinach washed, stemmed and chopped (about 3 cups)
- sliced avocado optional
Leisurely oven version:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prick sweet potatoes with a fork and bake until tender, about 45 minutes.
- Slice onion and greens while heating a large pan over medium heat. Add olive oil. Once hot, add onion and cook until slightly caramelized, about 10-15 minutes. Add collard greens and spinach and cook, stirring, until wilted, about 5 minutes. Add salt to taste.
- Serve potatoes split and topped with a mountain of greens and sliced avocado, if using. More salt, pepper, cayenne or a squeeze of lemon optional.
Quick and dirty microwave version:
- Stab a sweet potato a few times with a fork and microwave for 2 minutes on high. Check for doneness. If still firm, microwave for another minute until tender.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat. Once hot, add onions and a tiny pinch of baking soda (less than 1/8 teaspoon—this will speed up the cooking process like whoa). Once onions are brown and tender, add greens and cook until wilted, about 5 minutes. Add salt to taste.
- Serve split potatoes with a mountain of greens and sliced avocado if you want. More salt, pepper, cayenne or a squeeze of lemon optional.