A sweet potato casserole translated into crepe cake components!
This is one of my favorite creations to date since it combines two of my favorite things: pancakes (in the form of crepes) and SWEET POTATO CASSEROLES. I had never had a sweet potato before in my life until I had a bite of someone’s marshmallow-topped casserole at a Thanksgiving gathering. The next Thanksgiving, I picked out about 8 lbs. of potatoes and made my own contribution to Thanksgiving meal.
Sadly, sweet potato casserole wasn’t present at this past Thanksgiving gathering, but reading this sweet potato casserole showdown has left me craving them for months. I’ve been so obsessed!
What is a sweet potato casserole crepe cake?
It is simply sweet potato crepes layered with a sweet potato filling laced with orange, maple and brown butter. The stack gets topped with a crispy-melty lid of broiled marshmallows. Remember the buckwheat flour we used in those banana buckwheat pancakes? Here’s another excuse to use it!
How to make a sweet potato casserole crepe cake?
This crepe batter is super easy to make–whirl all the ingredients in a blender and you’re done! You can also easily mix the ingredients by hand. These crepes can be cooked like normal in any greased skillet.
The sweet potato filling is simply sweet potato puree loosened with some orange juice, sweetened with maple syrup, and enriched with brown butter and spices for a delicious filling.
Sweet Potato Casserole Crepe Cake
For the crepes
- 1 cup buckwheat flour (can use AP flour)
- 1.5 cups almond milk or milk of choice
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp neutral oil
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- ¼ cup sweet potato puree
- dash cinnamon
For the sweet potato filling
- 1 cup sweet potato puree
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons brown butter optional
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- dash cinnamon
- 1/3 cup mini marshmallows
- Add all crepe ingredients to a blender (liquid ingredients first); blend until smooth. Batter will be very runny.
- Mash all filling ingredients together.
- In a lightly greased frying pan over medium heat, cook each crepe about 2 minutes on each side. Amount of batter will vary depending on the size of your pan (I used a 6" pan and a scant 1/4 cup of batter, yielding about 8 crepes).
- Layer cooked crepes and sweet potato filling. Top with mini marshmallows and broil at 500 degrees for 2 minutes (watch it to make sure your marshmallows don’t burn!)