This cake is whoa-my-God amazing.
The best, absolute best part is that you can eat this for breakfast. Whoa!
This is one of my favorite creations to date since it combines two of my favorite things: pancakes (in the form of crepes) and SWEET POTATO CASSEROLES. I had never had a sweet potato before in my life until I had a bite of someone’s marshmallow-topped casserole at a Thanksgiving gathering. The next Thanksgiving, I picked out about 8 lbs. of potatoes and made my own contribution to Thanksgiving meal. Love at first sight.
Sadly, sweet potato casserole wasn’t present at this past Thanksgiving gathering, but reading this sweet potato casserole showdown has left me craving them for months. I’ve been so obsessed! So I made this. And it’s pretty awesome.
Here’s what this is: sweet potato crepes layered with a sweet potato filling laced with orange, maple and brown butter topped with a crispy-melty lid of broiled marshmallows. Remember the buckwheat flour we used in those banana buckwheat pancakes? Here’s another excuse to use it!
This crepe batter is super easy to make–whirl all the ingredients in a blender and you’re done! You can also easily mix the ingredients by hand. Add a well-heated, greased pan and crepe heaven is just around the corner.
I tried to make a vegan version until I realized I just wanted to put an egg in the crepe batter and be done with it. So I did. Then I added a tablespoon of brown butter to the filling. Let me tell you: I had a bowl of butter-less filling and it was great—I was eating spoonfuls and enjoying life. Then I added butter and I found myself SHOVELING spoonfuls into my face. It makes the sweet potato filling into this gorgeous, caramel-laced richness that is addicting.
And after broiling a sea of marshmallows on top until they reached a crusty golden brown and I sliced into that multi-layered carb and sweet potato creation? I was in a total state of delayed gratitude bliss.
So happy Friday! I hope you get to make this this weekend for someone special and celebrate Thanksgiving in March.
Sweet Potato Casserole Crepe Cake
- ½ cup buckwheat flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 egg
- scant 1 tablespoon oil
- scant ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup sweet potato puree
- dash cinnamon
- Sweet potato filling
- 1 cup sweet potato puree
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- dash cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon brown butter optional
- 1/3 cup mini marshmallows
- Add all crepe ingredients to a blender (liquid ingredients first); blend until smooth. Batter will be very runny.
- Mash all filling ingredients together.
- In a lightly greased frying pan over medium heat, cook each crepe about 2 minutes on each side. Amount of batter will vary depending on the size of your pan (I used a 6" pan and a scant 1/4 cup of batter, yielding about 11 crepes).
- Layer cooked crepes and sweet potato filling. Top with mini marshmallows and broil at 500 degrees for 2 minutes (watch it to make sure your marshmallows don't burn!)