I spent this past week at home, a little breather in between the end of the summer portion of my internship and the beginning of the school year.
In between biking the golden gate bridge (finally!), eating tons of delicious California fruits, eating even more treats from newly famous SF bakeries, making pie, and celebrating my birthday a little early with my family at a great little vegan sushi spot, I got to squeeze in a visit with the ever-lovely Alanna: she fed me fantastic financiers and biscuits she was testing for her upcoming cookbook (!!!), took me to a local favorite Mexican joint so I could get my yearly California burrito fix and we caught up on life.
OXO recently sent me their hand-held spiralizer to try out (pictured above) and it instantly become my favorite kitchen tool. I have a more traditional spiralizer, but after using my new tiny, streamlined hand-held spiralizer, the traditional one just seems cumbersome in comparison. For $15, I can’t think of a better investment in vegetable enablement–it’s renewed my excitement for tons of vegetable-based noodle dishes and salads.
When I told Alanna about this recipe and my consternation over what to call it, she was like, “What if you just put pizza in quotes?” It was perfect. This isn’t a pizza in any sense of the traditional word (no tomato sauce, no cheese, no crust), but the spiralized zucchini makes for a fun, light base for an array of breakfast-y toppings like avocado, smoked salmon and egg. (If you don’t have a spiralizer, you can also use grated zucchini, but what’s the fun in that?)
Zucchini Breakfast Pizza
- 2 medium zucchini spiralized
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper to taste
- To serve: sunnyside-up eggs avocado, smoked salmon, hummus, sliced tomatoes.
- Stir egg into spiralized zucchini until well-combined; season with salt and pepper.
- Heat an oiled 8" frying pan over medium heat. Once hot, add zucchini mixture to pan, spreading it out evenly. Let cook undisturbed for at least five minutes, or until the bottom browns and you can easily slide a spatula underneath. To flip, slide the zucchini mixture onto a plate, then flip it back into the pan so the uncooked side is facing down. Cook for another 5-7 minutes until cooked through.
- Add toppings of your choice and serve immediately.