Ugly Fruit Blondies
Servings 1 8x8 pan, or about 25 small squares
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons Ugly Fruit applesauce or regular applesauce
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- scant 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 2/3 cups mixed fresh fruit blueberries, cherries, pomegranate, raspberries, etc.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease an 8x8 pan. Melt butter over medium heat until browned: it will foam and sizzle, but ultimately give way to a nutty-smelling liquid.
Stir together the butter, applesauce, and sugars until smooth. Stir in the egg and vanilla until fully incorporated. Add the flour, cinnamon and salt and stir until mostly incorporated--a few streaks is okay. Stir in 1/4 cup white chocolate chips.
Pour batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle with remaining chocolate chips and fruit. Bake for 40 minutes, or until browned and tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
Adapted from Michelle's rhubarb and white chocolate blondies: www.hummingbirdhigh.com/2014/06/rhubarb-and-white-chocolate-blondies.html