Blueberry Coconut Flour Pancakes

I went to a book signing last Tuesday and went on a 4-hour kayaking trip on Sunday: what do these have in common? These pancakes.

Blueberry coconut flour pancakes // The Pancake Princess

The kayaking trip was slightly disastrous and is a story for another time, but THE BOOK SIGNING! We’re talking about it. It was for The Paleo Kitchen, the joint cookbook venture between paleo blogging superstars, PaleOMG and Civilized Caveman. While I don’t follow a paleo diet (and don’t plan to), I somehow got hooked on Julie’s blog a long time ago–probably due to her excellent snark and widespread use of coconut flour.

Blueberry coconut flour pancakes // The Pancake Princess

The fact that she recognized me (and then posted about it) was pretty much the most flattering thing to ever happen to me. If you’ve ever been curious about the definition behind “geeking out,” you should have seen me at the book signing. My heart was beating so fast and and I’m pretty sure my tongue was tied in a the closest thing to a literal knot. I asked them where they ate for LUNCH when I got up to the desk. REALLY. I could barely pull my face together to smile in the photo because my mouth was quivering (…with adrenaline?). This is coming from someone who once asked her mom (who used to sign Bruce Jenner’s name onto T-shirts) what the big deal is about celebrity autographs. #starstruck

Thankfully, both Julie and George were so nice and funny that my nerves were completely unwarranted. Before the signing, they gave a short talk on their backgrounds and what led them to paleo, the process of making the cookbook, and a lengthy Q&A session. I thought it was hilarious that they both were comfortable admitting that they’d clashed quite a bit in the beginning of making the cookbook before settling into a very sibling-esque dynamic (which I’d totally read about!).

Blueberry coconut flour pancakes // The Pancake Princess

Anyway, what do you do when one of your favorite blogging goddesses hugs you and punches her co-author in the arm and tells him to follow you on Instagram because your photography is amazing? You run home (literally, if you could), and make the blueberry pancakes in her cookbook.

This was very apropos since I’ve been meaning to try a coconut flour pancake for months. These are some of my favorite pancakes ever and I’m not just saying that because of the warm fuzzies discussed above. The thick batter puffs up in the pan, sizzling down into crisp, golden sides sandwiching a vaguely cake-like crumb with just the slightest bit of spring. And they’re so easy to make. I’ve made these as normal-sized pancakes, but this past Sunday, I was feeling lazy and made one giant pancake. I don’t recommend that unless you’re an advanced pancake flipper. I found that out once the pancake was halfway cooked through.

I should add that George mentioned that chocolate chips make an excellent addition to these pancakes and I don’t disagree. At all.

Blueberry coconut flour pancakes // The Pancake Princess

The only changes I made to this recipe was to third the recipe for a smaller batch. I also don’t have arrowroot powder, which was called for in the original recipe, so I tried subbing all sweet rice flour, a combination of cornstarch and sweet rice flour, and a combination of sweet rice flour and brown rice flour (these subs make these pancakes NON-paleo!). I suspect using all of just one sub listed above would work, though if you use all brown rice flour, the pancakes might be slightly more crumbly.Blueberry coconut flour pancakes // The Pancake Princess

Coconut flour pancakes

Ingredients

• 1 egg
  • scant ¼ cup almond milk
  • 1 teaspoon honey
  • ½ teaspoon lemon juice
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla
  • scant 3 tablespoons coconut flour
  • scant 3 tablespoons sweet rice flour
  • scant ¼ teaspoon baking powder
  • scant ¼ teaspoon baking soda
  • pinch of salt
  • small handful of blueberries
  • coconut oil, for the skillet

Instructions

In a large bowl, whisk the egg with the milk, honey, lemon juice and vanilla. Add the flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt and fold gently until mostly combined. Fold in the blueberries.

Place a pan over medium heat and add a bit of coconut oil. Once the pan is hot (a drop of water sizzles on its surface), dollop the batter into the pan by the quarter-cup. Cook for about 2-3 minutes on the first side, flip, and cook for about 1-2 minutes on the other side. These are absolutely best piping hot out of the pan!

Blueberry coconut flour pancakes // The Pancake Princess

30 thoughts on “Blueberry Coconut Flour Pancakes

1. Nora (A Clean Bake)

I have been dying to try this recipe ever since I saw it on your IG feed! So I totally tried to make this into a chocolate version and.. um, butchered it. Yours looks so good! I better stick to your recipe next time 😉

2. Maria

These didn’t turn out like pancakes at all (!). Since coconut flour is very liquid absorbing, I had to put about 2-3 tbs more liquid (milk) to get it somehow together like a batter – Maybe I should have tried it without adding more? It tastes very good, I ate it like an omelett ^^.
    Thanks for sharing all your great recipes :)
    //Maria

Hi Maria!

Sorry to hear these didn’t quite turn out like pancakes for you! Did you make any changes to the recipe? For example, if you used all coconut flour, that would probably make the pancakes quite a bit drier. The batter should be quite sludgy and thick, but definitely pourable. I’m glad it tasted good, but I’m curious to hear what went wrong for you!

3. The Vegan 8

Erika, sorry girl that I’m late in commenting…been a looong week! Anyways, for real, these pancakes are so gorgeous…looks like the epitome of a perfect pancake…large and fluffy!!! That is so cool you got to me bloggers you love too, how exciting! I saw your pic on instagram…so flipping adorable! I love that these pancakes are gluten-free. I have tried baking with coconut flour many times…and while I have gotten pretty good at many gluten-free flours, coconut flour has given me the greatest problems. It tends to work well when combined with eggs, but without them (since I’m vegan), it doesn’t work so well, they tend to be mushier and dense. BUT, I love a challenge and will keep at it because I got to use it up somehow, hahaha!
    What was the texture like by using coconut flour and rice flour? I ask, because I’ve used both and tend to get a slightly powdery/gritty texture, but that could totally be me and me needing to work on it.

4. laurasmess

Yum. I’ve never really gotten into reading paleo blogs because… Well, like you I don’t really have any plans to follow a paleo diet. You have made me think more about using the recipes though, as these coconut pancakes (and the two blogs!) sound amazing. Yay yay yay for mutual admiration, you deserve all the positive comments that were said! Amazing photographs indeed. Love this post Erika, and I will look out for the cookbook xx

5. Muna Kenny

I’ve never used coconut flour ever before, but looking at your pancake I think I should try it out! I guess your kitchen must have smelled heavenly while making the pancakes :)
    Your photos are great and people should follow you on instagram and I just started following too :)

6. Kathryn

I never ever know what to do with coconut flour so these pancakes are doubly fantastic! They look so, so delicious and I really want a big plate for my breakfast right this very moment.

Right?! Coconut flour is such a tricky beast. I feel similarly about rice flour, but luckily I can always find something lovely and creative on your blog to use up my rice flour :)

7. Ala

Ohh, what a wonderful post and encounter–I love it! It’s awesome that she was just as wonderful as she seemed; it’s amazing to meet such fabulous folk (yourself included!) in real life, isn’t it? And these pancakes. No wonder you all get along so well!

8. Amy Jean Tappenden

Omg I love this post!!! I adored the photo of you at the book signing, so cute!! This big pancake looks SO good omg. I haven’t tried choc chips in pancakes yet as they’re hard to come by in Japan, but in a week’s time I’ll be home in NZ so I’ll be able to make more of your pancake recipes, I’m so EXCITED!!!!

9. Shikha @ Shikha la mode

I love that you went and got recognized – girl, am I friends with a celebrity?! If so, let it be known that I have known you since elementary school so that better count for something. So much fun!

10. Pang

I think you are so SUPER CUTE to be smitten by your favourite blogger :) If you live next door, I would have given you a hugs because I can’t help myself. :)

Anyway, I have always wanted to try coconut flour, and this is the time to do so with your good looking recipe, of course. I am not planning to follow a paleo diet, but I am grateful for introducing me to those great blogs, and all the links. :)

11. Choc Chip Uru

Haha star struck moment got turned around 😛
    What amazing photos (not surprised :D) and what GORGEOUS pancakes – need to eat, need to devour, need now!

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

12. Sophie

Ah I could just dive into that beautiful pancake! Sounds so delicious! I love the way you photographed this :) How fun to have met some of the bloggers you really love! Julie is hilarious — snark, yes :) Looking forward to hearing about your kayaking uh…. adventure?

Thanks Sophie!! Isn’t she great? Oh, that kayaking adventure. Definitely the story of the summer. I can’t wait to tell it!

To be fair, Julie had asked for recommendations for lunch spots on her blog so I was just curious where they ended up. And thanks Millie!

13. cynthia

I am utterly mesmerized by these pancakes, Erika! With coconut flour?! I need to try this like. yesterday. They look SO soft and floofy (scientific terminology only). I love this so much — and YAY for meeting blog idols AND having them recognize you!! now YOU need to be writing a cookbook!!

14. Katie (The Muffin Myth)

Like, that was your mom’s job? Amazing. I’ve actually got some coconut flour in my cupboard so I should totally try this out. I’ll have to seek out the other flour though – or do you think I could go all coconut flour, or would that be weird? Oh, and she’s right, your photography *is* amazing!

Haha yes, part-time job! Among other tasks. And I think you do need another flour to balance out the coconut flour–do you have arrowroot flour? That’s what was used in the original recipe. Honestly…I’d venture to say any starchy flour would probably work. But I would not recommend all coconut flour because it’s such a liquid-sucking flour! (And THANK YOU! <333)

15. Nancy @ gottagetbaked

Ummm…I want to hear more about your mom’s days of faking Bruce Jenner’s autograph! You can’t just drop that tidbit on us and not elaborate! What an awesome experience you had at the book signing. Erika, your photography IS amazing and everyone needs to follow you on every social media platform because you deserve all the props. And now I want pancakes. With chocolate chips.

Ha–I wasn’t sure people would even pick up on that, but you guys totally did! My mom was Bruce Jenner’s secretary for a short while after she graduated from college, so she got to sign his signature on shirts mailed to fans :) And THANK YOU LADY! You are the sweetest <3

Aw yay!! Yeah, I’m trying to figure out how to use up all of my odd flours because my overflowing cabinets are getting out of control. Hope you enjoy!! :)

Aww thanks Michelle! Also I can’t believe she was your crossfit coach in Denver!! I want to hear about that when you come to Houston! And ha–so my mom used to be Bruce Jenner’s secretary wayyyy back in the day after she graduated from college, so that was one of her tasks :)