These shaved carrot fritters are so light and fresh, a perfect summer side dish!
In the summer, I’m never trying to make an elaborate meal. These carrot fritters are so simple and hearty yet fresh with so much fun texture! I love them as a fiber-filled base to any other proteins or vegetables you’d like to heap on top.
Why you’ll love these fritters
- SO easy! Like my 2-ingredient sweet potato fritters, these require minimal ingredients and cooking time. The most time-intensive part is shaving the carrots!
- Great for a family meal: These are great hot or at room temperature. If you make a big batch, everyone can grab a few fritters and top them with whatever they like!
What you’ll need for these fritters
- Carrots: a few large or medium sized carrots will make around 12 palm-sized patties–this recipe is very easy to scale!
- Egg: I used large eggs, but any size will work
- Flour: I used all-purpose, but pretty much any flour will work as the binding ingredient–whole wheat, spelt, buckwheat, even cornstarch!
- Seasonings: I kept it simple with salt and pepper, but you can add whatever seasonings you like!
How to make these fritters
- To make these fritters, simply shave a few carrots down until you have a pile of flat carrot shreds.
- Mix in the egg and flour to bind all the carrots together and cook them in a frying pan over medium heat.
- The best way to form the “patties” is to use a fork to twirl the carrot shreds together in a heap, then flatten the heap down in a hot pan
Tips and Tricks
- Shave the carrots with a vegetable peeler for the best texture: I tried both grating and shaving the carrots and the gritty texture of grated carrots weren’t my favorite. The crumbly texture feels like eating a veggie burger made out of just carrots.
- The best way to shave carrots: Shaving carrots is a little tedious, but it goes fast. I found it was easiest to start halfway up the carrot and peel all around it until you end up with a very skinny end. Then flip and shave it the other way until you end up with one long skinny piece of carrot. At that point, you can cut it length-wise, or I just snapped it in half and mixed it in with the rest of the shaved pieces.
- What to serve these fritters with? They work well as a fun burger bun (sandwich a patty in between) or an addition to a burger as a lettuce or tomato-like layer! These would also be great served with a salad and pan-fried tofu or fish on the side.
Other recipes you might like
Shaved Carrot Fritters
- 4 medium carrots, shaved
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- salt and pepper, to taste
- neutral cooking oil as needed
- In a medium bowl, mix the carrots, egg and flour together with a fork until the carrots look evenly coated. Season with salt and pepper. Add ½ teaspoon of oil to the pan and use a spatula to evenly coat the surface. Use a fork to twirl about ¼ cup of the carrot mixture around the tines like you would spaghetti, then plop into the pan. Basically you just want a big clump of carrot that looks fritter-like—it doesn’t have to be the perfect twirl.
- I cooked three fritters at a time, flipping after about 2 minutes. They should develop a nice golden crust on the bottom and be fairly easy to flip over. Cook for another 1-2 minutes, remove from heat and repeat with the rest of the carrot mixture. I made 12 fritters in 4 batches of 3, adding ½ a teaspoon of oil every other batch.
- Eat topped with an egg + avocado or with a veggie burger!