These soft and fluffy banana chocolate chip cookies are lightly sweet, a little chewy, and fast to throw together! A perfect use for any overripe bananas.
Whenever I have overripe bananas, banana bread is the obvious choice to make with them. But sometimes the idea of a full loaf feels like a lot to commit to–and a pile of soft, puffy, lightly sweet cookies feels like the right choice.
These banana yogurt cookies are so easy to throw together and are perfect for a quick on-the-go breakfast or snack!
Ingredients You’ll Need for these Banana Yogurt Cookies
Many of these ingredients (like leaveners, oil and sugar) you may already have in your kitchen. The ripeness of your bananas is key–the darker brown they are, the more sweetness they’ll impart to your cookies.
I like using Greek yogurt in these cookies because it adds more thickness, but you could also use regular yogurt (I’d use a little bit less) or add in the same quantity of mashed banana if you’re trying to avoid dairy.
- All-purpose flour
- Oat flour (or additional all-purpose flour)
- Baking powder, baking soda and salt
- Fat like coconut oil, butter or a neutral oil like vegetable oil
- Brown sugar
- Greek yogurt
- Vanilla extract
- 2-3 large, very ripe bananas
- Semisweet chocolate chips
How to make the cookies
Making these cookies is a very similar process to making banana bread–but even faster! Simply whisk all the dry ingredients together, then the wet ingredients. The batter should be thick enough so that you can easily dollop it onto a baking sheet to make cookies.
The dough bakes up in about 10 minutes so you can easily have fresh banana cookies in under 30 minutes!
What do these banana cookies taste like?
The texture is puffier, doughier with a soft interior and slight chew. These are lightly sweet with a great banana flavor that pairs well with the semisweet chocolate–perfect for a quick breakfast or a snack!
Banana Yogurt Cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup oat flour or swap with 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted butter or a neutral oil can also be used
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup mashed bananas (about 2-3 large)
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Combine the flours, baking powder, salt, baking soda in a bowl.
- In a measuring cup or other bowl, combine the coconut oil, sugar, yogurt, egg, vanilla and mashed banana. Stir in the dry ingredients until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Use a rounded tablespoon of dough per cookie and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until cookies begin to brown around the edges.